Thursday, November 22, 2007

In memory of Picant

It's been quite a while since I last posted...been crazy travelling ard...
Anyway, this time round I dedicating this post in memory of a fren I had the honour to cross path with during my days in Kent Ridge Hall...

It was totally a shock to have received the news of the passing of picant...especially from a fellow Kentridgean I just happened to bump into at the mrt station!!

Just the day b4 I received an odd sms from silverfrye abt a gathering in hall where the details is posted in a blog...which at that point kinda made me wonder y they used such an odd name for the blog...inmemoryofpicant.blogspot.com...y would picant have such a weird sounding blog...he can't be dead...he's abt my age!!

Well I was really busy then since I just touched down from US abt 24hrs b4...and was busy getting prepared for my trip back to penang in abt 48 hrs time...frequent flyer huh? so I kinda forgotten abt the sms...until fortunately, I bumped into Li Peng at the mrt on my way to a business talk at raffles place...just a quick 5 mins chat and I found out that the gathering silverfrye mentioned was this sun and it's a memorial for picant...I could feel the chill down my spine then as I heard abt his passing...how could someone so young that I know passed away so suddenly...he's just abt my age!!

However, as I was at the talk, I was quickly cheered up as everyone ard was happily and attentively listening to the speaker...
The news of picant's passing never really sank in..although it stayed at the back of mind throughout the talk...

That night when I got back...I decided to check out the blog silverfrye sent...it was really touching to read the words left by so many of his frens...I left my piece...and I was so tired I went to sleep after...it still haven't really sank in...

Until this morning when I got into the lab and started doing the mundane work of "washing" the beads in my assay tubes...I switched on my computer halfway through and saw the news on picant's passing...it finally sank in...

I started really pondering abt 2 points...

Firstly, even though I had known and stayed in the same hall as picant for 2 years...I never really got to known him very well...I knew he was a nice guy...but we never really worked on the same stuff...I'm more of a sports person..he was more in drama and rag...so he was more of just a hi/bye fren...
It really made me wonder how many more of such wonderful ppl that I have had the fortune to cross path with...that I did not really got to know better...

Secondly, even though picant was only 26 years old...he has accomplished so much in life...his life might have been short...but he has positively affected so many ppl in this short 26 years...I really feel so honoured to have known such an amazing person!!
At the same time, this made me wonder abt myself...can I say the same abt wat I have accomplished so far...have I made a difference? I'm in fact a year older than him...

Picant has indeed touched so many this past 26 years...he'll forever be in the hearts of all who had the fortune to know him...we'll always remember 18 of Nov...

P.S. On a lighter note...I would like to thank my many frens from 642...for their influence...which made me think so profoundly of this event...
Thanks to WL, ML, YY, XR, KS and last but not least, Mr and Mrs Wang!!

No comments: