Sunday, September 11, 2011

Mega Tri...and NUS splashdown 2011

The mega tri was my third and last triathlon for 2011. It was also the longest distance I have completed, although it’s not in the typical triathlon/ironman distance. It was a very last minute sign up…haha…the race was on 11th September, and I signed up on 2nd September! I was not planning to do that race, however, after the disappointment of having to miss the Trifactor triathlon due to work commitment, I decided to sign up for that since it was the last triathlon that I could participate in (I would be away for the Desaru tri on 24th Sept too).

The day b4 the triathlon I had a 3-hr swimathon event at NUS (NUS splashdown). I have participated in that event 3 times and place top 3 twice :) This time, with my swim improving after all the Mon tri and Sat Tanjong Beach swim, I was aiming to swim close to 170 laps in 3 hrs. However, it didn’t turn out that way. I was unwell from Saturday (after I signed up for the Mega tri on Friday!) with some non-specific symptoms such as fatigue, headache and fever (most doctors would not agree I have a fever though, since it was less than the magical 37.5C :p)
As I was not clear whether I have an infection, or it’s just a physiological response from some significantly stressful situation I experienced in the week, I decided to go ahead with the events, but with careful monitoring of my heart rate and prepared to stop early if there was any sign of “wrong” feeling.
I was swimming at a very comfortable pace and I found my heart rate to be pretty consistent at ~140. However, I was surprise to find that I completed the first 50 laps in slightly under 50 minutes. As I went on, I was thinking about the triathlon the next day, and decided that I will try to aim for 100 laps (the minimum number of laps we were supposed to swim) in as close to 100mins as possible and stop a couple laps later... just in case I miscounted the laps and I could use those extra laps as warm down ;) I also figured I could swim more during the Safra Swim for Hope, where we will have 7 hrs to swim!
As it turned out I completed the 100 laps in just under 102mins with a quick water break every 20-30 laps. I was definitely very happy with the timing especially since I still felt strong at the end of the swim. The only problem was my nose was congested the rest of the day as I go about my usual business :p

Fortunately after an early night’s sleep, the next morning I woke up feeling pretty good, and temperature was normal (my penguin normal :p). I headed off to Changi Beach Park at 7am to get prepared and catch the boys b4 they were flagged off. The sky was rather gloomy then.
After I set up my bike and stuff at the transition area, I immediately went to the swim start area to look for the boys who were doing the long distance event (2km swim, 95km bike, 27km) . Yay…I saw the Hui Koon aka Pro, Robert aka Ironchef, Desmond, and Enrico, and Richard was there earlier than me to help us take photos!



I did the middle distance event (1km swim, 65km bike, 18km… swimmer unfriendly distance :p) which started later, so I had a chance to cheer the boys at least for the first lap of the 2 x 1km loop. After that it was my turn to get ready. As usual, I was planning a “swim fast, bike slow, run slow” race. So when we started, I was quick to enter the water and swam on the further out away from the pack. I have found this strategy to be more efficient even though it is a longer route, as I spend less time swimming over, under other ppl or kicking ppl who try to pull my legs.
I completed my swim in a very respectable time of 18:14 (mean = 25:51; median 28:30; 1st out of 9 who completed), but took my own sweet time at T1, having a drink, putting on socks, cycling shoes, race belt, cycling gloves, shades and helmet…haha…spent 3:04 in there, before I was out cycling... Luckily din bring any make up along, otherwise may spend more time in there :p




The bike route was 4 loops along Changi Coast Road, with a short detour into Aviation Road, each loop about 16 km. It was very flat route, where I barely changed my gears. Drafting was not allowed in triathlons but it still happens…haha…I was impressed that the organizer actually has officials on motorbike going around to spread out any drafting pack.
I think I was at my 3rd loop, when it started pouring. I was so cold…brrrr….but it was quite nice riding in the rain ;)
Although I did not think my bike time was very slow based on my current standard, my bike time of 2:32:35 (mean = 2:23:31; median 2:22:20) was the slowest in my age group! Haha…looks like all those in my category are cyclist :p
Then it’s back to T2 to unload my stuff, change shoes and go for the last bit of the tri…took my own sweet time again, spending 2:54 there :p




After I got out of T2, I realized I forgot to remove my cycling gloves…fortunately this tri suit has pockets big enough for me to stuff them. Then off I go jogging slowly along the 9km run route x 2. We were supposed to run from Changi Beach Park all the way to the Changi boardwalk and back. Somehow we had to pass my some hawker center and that made me really really hungry! Fortunately, we had water/isotonic drinks, sponge with iced water, power gel and bananas along the way.
It was a pretty slow run as I was keeping my heart rate below 150, and I walked quite a bit as my ITB was getting tight especially during the 2nd loop. However, surprisingly my run time of 2:08:48 (mean = 2:13:33; median = 2:15:14; 4th out of 9) is faster than average.
I also had plenty of photos taken here, as our friends, Richard, Le Giang, Vijay, Sanae and Wilson, who did not participate in this race, were coincidentally stationed at different locations. Being the vain penguin, I automatically break into a smile or pose, whenever I see anyone with a camera. Their presence, together with the cheering of other competing friends, kept me smiling most of the run route :)





Overall, I completed the race in a time of 5:05:31 (mean = 5:09:52; median 5:13:44; 4th out of 9), which made me a very happy penguin! I definitely can improve a lot more in my bike and run, but I have gone a long way since the beginning of this year :D

Time to take a break and figure out what’s wrong with me…until the next race...

No comments: