Wednesday, August 16, 2006

NUS triathlon

Yet another race...
Not a great one though :P

Pretty poorly organized...from the swim (it's biathlon...swim-run-swim-run-swim-run) to the cycle (think that's the worst...with all the stops at various junctions) to the run (no signs at u-turns...poor kids ran 4-5km instead of the 2km they r supposed to cover)...
...and pretty expensive too...can't say they used much money for logistics at the bike route...there's hardly any marshall and no roads were closed!! Not too mention safety at the transition area was horrible...anyone can walk in and out...why bother giving us the wrist tag??!! wonder anyone lost their bike there?

Oh well...I guess next year the organizing committee shld try to be less ambitious...stick to a simpler route...and maybe try to get help from a more experienced organizer...like TAS or Tribob...no point trying to claim they can handle it when the committee is a new one each year...
Just my 2 cents worth ;)

Anyway, I did enjoy my time there hanging out with some of the other participants...

So wat happened on Sun?

I know I was woken up at 4plus...TLR sms me :P
Bochap..I went back to sleep...finally I woke up at abt 5.15...TLR picked me up at 5.45...with our paparazzi photographer, Ripley, already in the car...hehe...

Got to ECP at abt 6am...waited for our cyclist, Junrong to arrive...he cycled all the way from Punggol...just warming up..hehe...
Then we put on our no. tags...mark myself...while the paparazzi was busy taking photo :P


Told u we had a paparazzi ard...she can't help taking any photos...be it Junrong pasting label on his bike or TLR marking my arm :P

After that we went into the transition area to put our stuff...not many ppl yet...yawnz...still had an hour or so to wait...nothing much to do except to chat and look out for ppl we know...rem seeing sanji182, runalone, mythos from Sgrunners..

Also saw Lee Li, Shawn and Huiping whom I met at the charity swim...hehe...I'm the only slacker doing relay...3 of them doing long distance individual event :P
Well with frens like Jayce and Elaine...slacking seem to be the way to go...hehe...they also participated in the relay event...with their cyclist, San San, who got registered w/o knowing it!!!

Of course Vicky was there too...she claims she haven't been training much..but still came in first in the Women's open...and also beat everyone in the Men's Closed category :P


Team beyond boundaries and frens....

Anyway, at abt 7am...I decided to get ready and walk over to the starting pt...my wave was supposed to start at 720am...but...
...it was delayed!!!
I was so bored...so sleepy...so was Jayce...hehe...yawnz
Finally after half an hour wait...the first wave was flagged off...
Oh man...the tide was so low...and the ground was so muddy...I ended up swimming abt 2/3 to 3/4 of the distance and was on foot the rest...3 loops of wat's supposed to be 500m each...took only 31 minutes...sure or not...that's abt my usual timing in the pool where there's no wave, no current, no one blocking my way...and I dun have to keep looking up to make sure I'm gg the right direction :P

Anyway, after 3 loops...I dashed my way to the transition area...on the way there..photo kena taken by paparazzi again...hehe...
That's the end of my leg of the race...haha...we were second for the long dist mixed relay then...few seconds behind...

Our cyclist sped off for 60km of cycling and a lot of stopping...before he finally got back in first place at the dismount area...but the other cyclist ran faster from there to the transition area...so we were still second when TLR ran off...

After an hour...he was back from his 2 loops of 7.5km...we came in second!!! Woohoo...team Beyond Boundaries rocks!!!


Team Beyond Boundaries in action!!
I just had to make that face since someone is taking photo :P
Guess how old is our powerful cyclist...someone wants his autograph!!



Photo with my competitor, Michelle...her team, MaxOut!, came in first...


A certain flip trying to avoid the paparazzi...not too successful huh?


An ironman-to-be (mythos) and an ironman dreamer (IMD)? Mythos is joining his first ironman end of this year...all the best!!!

Had to leave not long after TLR got back...so I wasn't ard for the prize presentation...


Team Beyond Boundaries again...taken b4 I left...


Hey...Gary gave out the prize to TLR and Junrong...he's another guy I met from the charity swim...even one of my housemates know him...hehe

Got the prize from TLR that evening 'cos we were having a surprise b'day dinner for Fd...
The prize sucks...we each got a medal which was blank on one side...and the engraving was on another piece of metal which was stucked on...oh man...and...
...one bottle of weird supplement and a tube of weird cream to be shared among the 3 of us...haha...we played with it during dinner instead :P
Dinner was good though...with fellow mods (Mr and Mrs Sotong, Cyberkinetic, Ripley, Alvo, Meteor, Philip, Tiwazz, Renohtaram) and some other ppl like commando, flip, Roetgen, IMD, SV (who cycled there...and park his bike in TLR's car!!)...
After that, I was pretty dead...so was renoh...hmm...twin effect? hehe...so we left while the rest probably went for coffee...

Photos are courtesy of Ripley

2 comments:

Vorlacks said...

hmmm...

wasn't this the day that i flew off?

tried to look for you from the plane, but couldn't really see...

penguin said...

wah...after putting that penguin on my head to swim...
making my swim more tiring...and also had to risk losing that penguin...
u tell me u couldn't see me??!!