Sunday, September 11, 2005

Busy week? Lab, YEP, work...

Yup...it's definitely been a very very busy week today...wake up at 6am everyday...then get home past 10pm from Mon to Thur...

Din exercise at all...no run, no swim, no cycle...only exercise I get is through walking from lab to lab...or bus stop to home abt 5-10mins...haha :P

Its madness!!! Busy with my 2nd lab rotation doing organic synthesis...cannot slack liao...hehe...everyday gotta be in the lab...playing with chemicals!! Hehe...but I think my supervisor din expect me to be doing so much leh...he was quite surprised that I have got quite a lot done when he saw me on Fri...the postgrad, Santosh, and honours year student, Yee Swan, has been helping me a lot and getting me to do a lot of reactions...hehe...hopefully I can finish earlier and get my report out earlier since I have to leave for Sri Lanka soon...

Oh ya..Sri Lanka turtle conservation project...that's another reason for the busy week...been arrowed to be expedition nurse and also was i/c to liase with organizer for the International Coastal Clean-up Singapore(ICCS)...since organizer is from NUS...
So I have been busy with first aid stuff...vaccination for the team...getting contact list for the ICCS and first aid purpose...doesn't seem difficult for a team of 11 but some ppl just take ages to reply...and I'm still waiting for one guy to reply after one week!!! No response to email, SMS or even phone call!!! Irritating!

Yesterday, 8 of us met up for the ICCS at Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve...hehe...I think we were the most troublesome group of 8...met at difference places to take bus...but yet wanna for two groups among ourselves...then after that...never attend their safety briefing...took so long to put our barang-barang in Merey (one of our expedition leaders) car...hehe...not too mentioned we signed up for this event so late...I had to bother the organizer so much...oops...
We picked up quite a lot of thrash there though...just hanged out at one small area...just above the strand line (Hang Chong...our other expedition leader who has been to other coastal clean ups...told us abt the strand line thingy)...it's where all the rubbish were pushed to during high tide and get stranded there during low tide...there's so much rubbish there...plenty of styrofoams (one of the major marine life killer), straws, food wrappers, plastic sheets/bags (another major marine life killer), fishing nets (marine life trap)...there are also quite a lot of bottles, cigarette lighters (stop smoking ppl!!...come get nicotine replacement therapy from me if u need...hehe), and an assortment of other stuff like light bulb, hanger, footwear etc etc...
After abt 2 hours there we haven't even clear up all the rubbish from that relatively small area...partly because we had to do some data collection, so we had to record wat we have collected...
After the clean up, we went to clean ourselves up at the visitor center...a short tour of the visitor center...then off to lunch at Marsiling...all squeeze in Merey's car...haha 8 of us!!! We actually spend quite a bit of time deciding where to eat when we were in the car...siao man...so squeezy still can keep changing our minds and go further and further...
Anyway, it was good thing we ended up at Marsiling...'cos we saw this very injured cat straying in the carpark...Zul spotted it first...he called SPCA to get someone to come pick up the cat...it took quite a while for them to arrive but since we were having lunch and also a short discussion...it was just nice :D Apparently we found out from the kopitiam uncle that the cat's been injured for months...due to fights with other cats...

Now I'm selling turle stickers...anyone interested? It's S$1 per sticker or $5 for a sheet of 6 big stickers and 2 small ones :) I'll take some photos of the stickers and post it on the blog later :)


Reason no. 3 for my busy week....work work and work...hehe...work 3 evenings this week...2 of them were last minute call to help cover HLC...

Today I'm at work at TPY...after my tiring run at AHM...sit down and let lactic acid accumulate...

No comments: