Monday, April 17, 2006

Balloons

I went shopping at Carrefour yest...well...I wanted to get some storage containers for my room...and...err...balloons for use in the lab...hehe...

Vorlacks wanted to know y in the world m i using balloons in the lab...
Having a party? with black balloons??
Yup...I bought black balloons...hehe...din know there r black balloons in the first place :P

Anyway, here's how they r used...

First the balloons are attached to syringes that have been partially cut-off...
Then they r filled with some inert gas...in my case...it's nitrogen...
After that a needle is attached to the syringe...and..
Used as shown below...hehe :D



On the left...balloon on a rubber stopper...waiting to be used...
On the right...balloon on a bottle of anhydrous solvent...so that I can draw the solvent out while N2 goes in ;)
In the middle...balloon on the condenser attached to my reaction flask...ensure it's dry and inert in the reaction flask...at the same time keeps the pressure pretty constant :D

4 comments:

Vorlacks said...

hmm... do u have leftover balloons?

come to my lab lah, we have a black balloon party!!

maybe they will send us the video...

penguin said...

leftover ah? i think i'll need more leh...

anyway, if u wanna have black balloon party...go buy another pack lor...
but black balloon party sounds sad leh...like funeral or something...

we could get red, white and green balloons for italian nite though!! ;)
when's that huh?

Vorlacks said...

hmm true... but u dun usually see balloons at funerals leh...

so when u gg shopping for balloons again? go buy the italian balloons lah.

italian night ah? can combine with risk night or not? maybe after my last e x a m?

penguin said...

hmm...when ah? probably after I cut my hair...wahahaha...

after ur e x a m...thought we gone diving...dunno how free I'll be in May yet...only know I got PhD conversion e x a m on 15 May :P