Monday, March 27, 2006

Singapore Biathlon

My 2nd event of the year...woohoo...

It all started with a really really early day...
Woke up at 5am...had bfast, changed up...then off I go to the bus-stop to wait for 31...

Din have to wait long for the bus :D
Since it was a long ride...I decided to sleep...zzzz...
Got off at the end of Marine Parade Rd...and walked towards carpark F2 from there...I just walked and walked and walked until I reached the carpark...no idea how long I took man :P

Once there...I quickly go register and get my race pack...hmm...red cap again...and the bib got no holes at the corners one...well...gotta pin it onto the race belt then...next time shall bring hole puncher...wahahah...

After that I'm still very sleepy...and din see anyone I recognize yet...so just sit one corner and stone...really stone...

Soon I started seeing more and more ppl arrive...saw DO, mythos, jennifer, eunice, IMD, bala, cheow...blah blah blah...sorry can't rem who else I saw...was really sleepy and stone then :P

When it was ard 7.30am...I got ready to go to the starting line...

Oh ya...I saw Alvo and Meteor too..and sxuanjing...who were there super early to support...Alvo took this photo of me :D



At the starting line...listened to Alec Kuok give briefing....again...it's always him at the biathlon/aquathlon/triathlon...say the same things...one thing that I always rem him saying is...
"If u're a weak swimmer pls stay behind...otherwise the other swimmers are gg to make a submarine out of u"...wahahaha...

Then...hmm...he finished his briefing early...gotta wait a while b4 it's 7.45am...


I'm somewhere near the front at the left...can't see me though :P

At 7.45am...we were finally flagged off...


Again..I must be somewhere at the far right...away from everyone else

Swim leg was slightly different from last year's...but general direction is still the same...i.e. anticlockwise...
Got to the first buoy really really fast...then the second buoy was so far away...
Finally I got back after 40 mins...
As usual...even though I had my HRM on...I forgot to take the lap time to determine how long I swam to each buoy...sianz...
Anyway, it was a pretty pleasant swim as I was swimming pretty far out...so din have to get kicked/pulled or turned into a submarine...or do that to other ppl...wahahaha

After swim...as usual...take my own sweet time at the transition area...put on shades even though it was cloudy...otherwise I have to wear my normal specs and run :P
The run was the same as last year's...with distance marking at every kilometer for the first 9...and every 100m for the last km....again...forgot to take lap time :P
Anyway, I paced myself according to heart rate again...abt 170 bpm...until the last 1 plus km then I sped up a bit...

Always get overtaken at the run leg...used to it liao...saw DO and eunice running past...in the end...I think my timing was abt the same as last year's one...wow :D

During the run, I saw sxuanjing supporting somewhere along the run leg...can't rem where...could see her whip out the camera when she spotted me from afar...hehe...
I also saw Kelvin Choo (aka poot poot)...ex-E blocker (aka eguana)...running...he must have been 1 or 2 waves after me :D

Near the finishing line...I saw tiwazz, Alvo, meteor, renoh? etc...sorry din really see everyone as I run past...cheering on "PENGUIN!"...really loudly...thanks guys!!!

After the race...found eunice at the transition area...she seemed to have been stung by jellyfish...initially I thought it must be some sea bugs...but it was not!! When we went to the first aid area...we found that there were plenty more that were stung...scary!!!

Then we went to meet up with the other sgrunners who were near the end pt...
Saw DO who has showered...so fast...hmm...I better go shower too...


Saw this 2 penguins at one of the stalls at the carnival...just had to let Penguin take a photo with them...hehe
Penguin still look troubled hor?


Later I saw Evan and Elaine...hmm...wat are they doing all dry and clean...Evan signed up but din participate...so here to collect goodie bag only...
I also met Shin (ex-KentRidgean)...hehe...she's not here as a participant...came to support her bf lah :P

After collecting our goodie bags and cert...we took some photos...


Participants


Participants and supporters...penguin included :D

Then it's time to go for lunch at Marine Parade...before I had to rush off to NUS for a lecture!!!
Such happening life...playing hard and working hard...wahahhaah

Mentioned abt my adventure that morning to my lecturer...that's when I found out that a colonel had collapsed and passed away in the race!!! Her son happened to be in the army...

Such a sad thing to have happened...my deepest condolences to the Colonel's family....

Life is really unpredictable...live life to the fullest...live as though there's no tomorrow...err...but dun forget to work hard if u r in WA :P

Just dug out the certs...they give u the certs with official timing almost immediately after the race...
2005 - swim 0:40:28, run 1:00:10 overall (includes transition time) 1:42:38
2006 - swim 0:40:39, run 1:00:24 overall 1:42:35
My transition time actually got shorter???

No comments: