Saturday, August 20, 2005

Week of 15-20 August...Splashdown! 2005

Another busy busy week...

Very stressed out about my advanced organic synthesis module now :S
Never done any organic chemistry module during my undergrad years...closes I have done is pharm chem and med chem!!! Organic synthesis very very different...never heard of disconnections, synthons, synthetic equivalent etc....until I started reading the CM2121 Organic chemistry notes...oh man...that's just the basic which I need to learn and I'm taking the advanced module now...it's COMPULSORY for students under the Med Chem Program :(

Anyway, life has to go on...so I'm still running, swimming or cycling...less frequently though...

Monday, 15 August

I have finally started using the Linux computer for my molecular modelling and docking project...the first of my 4 week project...this is actually the second week...first week was spend on some background reading and waiting for my password to access the supercomputer ;P
Dr Jois taught me how to use Insight II...it's quite fun...something like a more sophisticated PCModel...but can only use on Linux OS...so I can't play with it at home :(
I also had to learn some simple Linux command so that I can use the software, InsightII and Autodock for my project...maybe if got time, I can learn Sybyl too...that's wat Prof Go wants me to use when I do my thesis project ;)

Went to attend the CM2121 lecture so that hopefully I can learn more on Basic Organic Synthesis...since I'm so so blur!!! Had a hard time finding the LT initally...well it says LT26 on the website...but apparently it's been changed to LT21...so near my lab and I had to walk all the way to LT26 to find out I'm in the wrong lecture!!!

Din run or anything today...just checked out the varsity swim team training...then go home :D

Tuesday, 16 August

Woke up early early in the morning...to go for a run at Sentosa with Jayce ;) Ran the same route as last time but this time din really go all the way into Tanjong Beach...just ran to the carpark entrance...then back to run on the sand at Palawan for a short distance...

After that bathe then go school...think I wasted a lot of time...din do much until the evening where I used the Linux computer to play around with InsightII...someone else was occupying the computer almost the whole day...computer hog!!!

Had my first CM5221 Advanced Organic Synthesis lecture today...it's just an introductory lecture but the lecturer, Dr Martin Lear, seems to expect us to know quite a lot for the subsequent lecture...the chemistry students were nodding away when he's talking abt the molecular orbital stuff...wah...jialat...can't catch wat he's talking abt!!! Die lah...I have a lot to catch up on...not to mention I haven't done the assessment he asked us to do...an assessment on basic organic synthesis based on his CM2121 lecture...he said "This is a simple set of basic organic chemistry questions, which you should be able to answer easily."...but I have no clue how to answer a single question...OMG!!! Really die lah!!!

Wednesday, 17 August

Found out that Martin Lear has webcast on his previous sem's lecture from Xi Kai...gotta get access to that man!!! Went to look for him...but he's not ard...email him...he added me as guest for that module in IVLE...but I still can't access the webcast :(

Decided to borrow Xi Kai's CM2121 notes and tutorials etc...

Thursday, 18 August

Went to look for Dr Lear again...meanwhile Prof Go also helped me asked one of the webcast support staff abt it...she good friend with the staff 'cos her lectures are also webcast...if not, a lot of ppl sure cannot follow her lecture one...she talk so superbly fast in lectures!!!

Finally after many tries...not sure wat he did...I finally could access the webcast...alright...now I have to go through all his lecture...doubt I can finish in a week or two...looks like I'm gonna be busy busy busy...

I have played enough of InsightII...Dr Jois taught Pankaz (another graduate student under him) and me how to get the HER2 receptor PDB file from the protein databank...load into the Linux comp...wow it's a big big structure...but I only need to concentrate on the part where Herceptin binds to it...phew...
We were also taught how to use Autdock...just need to set all the grid settings etc...then let the computer run the docking...no need to sit in front of computer all day ;)

Attended the CM2121 lecture again...

Then in the evening went to NUSS Guild House at Suntec City for a meeting with some ppl involved in the YEP trip to Sri Lanka for a turtle conservation project...oh ya...some lecturer in Chemistry (i/c of the med chem program) din wanna approve my leave for the trip...but after I told him I have spoken to Prof Go (whom I'll be attached to during that period) and she's fine with me gg...he had to approve it in the end...but he's still very unhappy...saying he won't let me go if I were attached to him...wah!!!

Friday, 19 August

Attended a chim chim seminar by one of the chemistry graduate...on total synthesis...was totally lost there...half way through my mind went into outer space...well at least I know I won't choose to do total synthesis now...let the chemistry ppl do it ;P

In the afternoon I cycled to Polar to collect my WearLink transmitter which was damaged...then went to ECP for the nature walk again...Soo Tong and Yanpei were there...yay :) After the walk cycled to Toa Payoh to pick up some stuff from TP2...been coughing and coughing lately with lotsa phlegm...so got a bottle of Duro-Tuss expectorant...wanted to taste it for once so that can say something when customers asked :D It doesn't taste very nice...kinda weird tasting...Grenadine flavor...no idea wat's that...
Wanted to find my 2L bottle of Ribena...went to Suntec City's Carrefour (on Thur), Marine Parade's NTUC Fairpirce, 2 Fairprice at Toa Payoh and Cold Storage at Toa Payoh but it's no where to be found :( sighz...

Saturday, 20 August

Splashdown aka NUS Mass swim is today!!! Went school early to play with InsightII and Autodock...then at almost 11am...went to buy some sushi to eat...and head down to the pool to register for the mass swim...I'm F03 out of 6 female participants!!! Got chance to get top 3 prize!!!
Waited ard at the pool side...saw Vicky...so went to talk to her...used to swim with her for KR's IHG training...but she's so much better now...top Singapore triathlete...beat a lot of guys some more!!!
We had a short briefing...then headed down to the pool...the swim started at 12noon...the gals are supposed to swim one direction in lane 7 then back on lane 8...the guys are split up to different lanes...some were with us...wah...they anyhow overtake and kick ppl one...so irritating...the breaststrokers were the worst...their stroke then to occupy more space and they tend to be slower than freestylers...gotta overtake them but kena kicked a few times :S
As time goes by...less and less swimmers were left...some swimmers left after the min 70 laps we have to swim to collect the goodie bags...
After 3 hours and 132 laps, I'm finally done!!! Vicky swam 200 laps...the guy that did the most lap only swam 190+ laps...
Did I mention for the competitive event, we have to swim under 2 barriers each lap??!! which means I swam under the barriers 264 times...no wonder it's so tiring...
Anyway, I got 3rd prize :) only 3 gals were left at the end of the swim...hehe...got a trophy and $25 ARENA voucher...yippee...can go buy swimming costume?? but have to go their warehouse and gotta make appt one...
Oh and I got a pair of PINK goggles from the lucky draw...oh man why does it have to be PINK...wat if a guy got it??!!!

After that, I left for Toa Payoh to get my NB real run race pack...met Renohtaram and Cyberkinetic at the Polar RS Launch...Renohtaram finally got his first HRM...the Polar RS200sd...so cool!!!

Got my dinner then I headed home...

Oh ya..have I mentioned I have been sneezing and sneezing since after the mass swim...can't do my work...that's why I'm posting this blog...hehe
My housemates said I have turned blacker also...3 hrs under sun...dun be shocked if u see me next time :D

Tomorrow is study study study...gotta finish the organic synthesis assessment...with the help of Xi Kai's answers :P

Ok now I shall continue with the Chem safety videos...in preparation for the test this coming fri...


Summary of workout...
Mon: slack
Tue: run ~6k
Wed: slack
Thur: slack
Fri: cycle ~25k, walk 4k
Sat: swim 6.6k
Sun: slack

No work for me this week too :D Next week JRW on Sat...

No comments: