Monday, July 04, 2005

OSIM triathlon day 2...and Milk Run

I volunteered as a swim marshall on the second day of the triathlon...woke up at 3.30am so that I can reach ECP at 5am...ended up arriving too early ;p

Wonder why we had to arrive so early...in the end we just hang ard until 6.30am before we went down to the beach...most of the other volunteers of the swim leg were canoeist...so they had to get ready to go into the sea while I helped out at the beach ;) I'm a beach bum...hehe

The first wave started off at 7.15am...that's for the age group olympic distance category...whoa the swim route was a mess...esp when the participants started heading back towards the shore...everyone was in the middle of the swim route regardlesss of whether they are heading out or in...all thanx to the sea current ;p
Anyway, my job was mainly crowd control and directing the participants during their swim leg..

After all the age group category participants have finished their swim, we had a short de-brief to discuss wat could have been done to prevent the mess...a learning experience for the next triathlon ;) this problem is not gg to happen with the elite participants that will be gg down next ;p

Since the elite race will only start at 11am, we took a break after the debrief...decided to walk abt and watch the race while I had the yummy curry puff and other snacks provided for tea break ;) Jon and Mei2 appeared during the break...wah...so free...travel all the way to ECP early in the morning!!!

At 10.30am we started preparing for the elite race...wow...the elite racers swam ard 200m out into the sea for their warm up...they look so cool in their triathlete's suit with their country and names (for some) printed on...I have seen some of the athletes on tv before!!! so cool to be able to see them in person now...hehe ;)
As expected they were swimming so "neatly" along the swim route...and they are fast!!! Most of them were in within 30mins...

After all the elite participants finished their swim, we started packing up...then we washed up, had lunch, got our allowance...and off we go...hehe...the bike and run marshalls are still out there ;p

I decided to cycle towards Zouk to meet my frens who were participating in the Milk Run...there was a big crowd at the Marina Promenade because of the Dragonboat Race...wah...the Milk Run participants are gg to have a hard time getting through...
I stopped at Boat Quat to wait for my frens to pass by...first I saw this runner that was lead by a blader and a cyclist who were helping the lead runner clear the path...
The first person I knew that ran past was Sukaimi aka The Lonely Runner...then after that I saw Evan...then Elaine...where's Jayce?!! Oh she was next to Elaine...somehow I din notice her until she ran past...
If u have been reading my blog and wondering...yup...it's the same Evan, Elaine and Jayce who have participated in the OSIM triathlon the day b4!!!

After that I crossed the river and decided to wait for them to come back...that's when it suddenly started to rain!!! Took shelter at one of the building along the Milk Run route...

Less than 30 mins after the start of the race, I saw the lead runner running pass again...whoa...he's damn fast...one of the marshalls told me he's so fast that the blader who was helping to clear the path was damn shack already!!!

Since the rain has gotten less heavy by then, I went up to one of the bridge to wait for the other runners to run pass the underpass...managed to take photos of TLR, Evan, Elaine and Jayce...hehe...think only Evan noticed me ;p



After the 4 of them run past, I started cycling back on the opposite river bank...which was a big mistake!! Din know the community run ppl have just started their run...I had to go against all of them until finally I managed to cross the bridge...I was so slow that by the time I was reaching the end point Jayce and Elaine were almost there liao too!!! Thought I could go to the finishing line to take a photo of them...unfortunately I was too slow ;p

After the race, Evan, Elaine, Jayce and I went for dinner at Lau Pa Sat...then it was time to head home...phew...wat a day!!!

No comments: